Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proudft/public_html/smf_forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Different ToD issue: secret door to next level
Tom Proudfoot's Games
January 19, 2019, 06:59:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forums!  All information is here now.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Different ToD issue: secret door to next level  (Read 4477 times)
screeg
Whelpling

View Profile Email
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:19:37 am »

Since the levels are randomly generated, isn't it true that the staircase might be hidden behind a secret door?  I got to a point where I had a sizable level already explored, then couldn't continue down.  I guessed it was because of a secret door.  Since the layout is randomly generated, the task of discovering the whereabouts of this door were daunting and definitely not fun or challenging.  That put me off ToD last time I played.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:51:29 pm »

Pretty sure(IIRC) it is possible that levels are generated without the necessary descending staircase/door...though it is certainly also possible that secret doors are generated requiring much crappy searching every wall on the level(though I don't remember having this issue myself).
Kodi
Whelpling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:32:12 am »

I used to be certain that dead-end levels could be generated without the necessary staircase to descend deeper. But then I discovered that secret doors not only exist (almost always in fairly intuitive, logical places where you might search anyway), but that sometimes the stairs are reachable only that way.

By the way, I've had a blast playing Tower of Darkness. Since there's no way to increase the difficulty, I started to decrease my party size to make it harder. I eventually wound up playing with a party of only two characters, and found some delightful combinations that synergized well with each other and had a lot of personality and variety too.

The hardest part about two-character parties is surviving the first level or two. It's a race against time to see if you can find gear that's useful enough, and become skillful enough, to survive against the bad stuff that might be lurking right around the next corner.

Wonderful fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: