Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proudft/public_html/smf_forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tom, may I tell another forum about your games?
Tom Proudfoot's Games
March 25, 2019, 09:44:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forums!  All information is here now.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom, may I tell another forum about your games?  (Read 12388 times)
Duuvian
Orc Scout

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »

Hey Tom. I'm a big fan of Dwarf Fortress, another independant game developed by a guy named Toady One. It's pretty sweet, you should check it out. Anyways, I was hoping for your permission to start a new topic in their "other games" section about Natuk and PoWs. I was also wondering if you had any Natuk discs for sale. I already have a copy but if you still have some for sale I could mention that on the forum I mentioned.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:46 am »

Tarn Adams(the guy who created Dwarf Fortress/Salves to Armok) was posting at Tom's forums WAYYY back in the day(like 1998-2000). Back then his first game, Slaves to Armok(I) was a scruffy, isometric yet ascii roguelike with ambitious goals and he was already a fan of Tom's games from Nahlakh.
So I suspect many of the Dwarf Fortress fans already know of and are fans of Tom's games as well but if you want to advertise Natuk some more over there(I would be shocked if there are not already several threads about Tom's games somewhere in the forums' history) I seriously doubt Tom would object. Wink

I used to play a lot of the first Slaves to Armok(the 3D roguelike it eventually became) but I myself am unable to get into the second one(Dwarf Fortress) because of the real-time nature and cumbersome interface(and ascii graphics...though there are tile sets available) but it is a mind-blowing achievement for gaming I must admit and it is neat so see how far Tarn has come with it in the last 10 or 12 years.
Duuvian
Orc Scout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »

Cool, I didn't know that about Tarn. I actually searched the Dwarf Fortress forums for Natuk and Pirates of the Western Sea, and the only topic was posted by you Skeletony, on Dec. 10th 2007. I'll go ahead and make a new topic in their other games section in the next few days.
Duuvian
Orc Scout

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:24:44 am »

Here is the post I made. It got pretty large.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49980.msg1050636#msg1050636
Tom Proudfoot
Emperor
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 01:15:57 pm »

I turned on guests-can-view-forum, I am not sure why that wasn't on.  Since I'm not a guest, I didn't notice.  Tongue

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:21:18 pm by Tom Proudfoot » Logged
Pvt Reese
Whelpling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:13:51 pm »

Dwarf Fortress and Natuk are very similar. 
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 03:05:51 pm »

Dwarf Fortress and Natuk are very similar. 

Uh...no, they are not. DF is a sort of hybrid roguelike + sandbox + city builder sim, where you play dwarves(only) using ascii graphics and real-time gameplay.

Natuk is a turn-based RPG(not a roguelike at all) where you play orcs, half-trolls and ogres and uses tiled graphics. Pretty much the exact opposite of Dwarf Fortress(well...maybe not EXACT opposite but seriously opposite.).
Pvt Reese
Whelpling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:36:58 pm »

Try Adventure mode, It is turnbased but you have no control of your teammates.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 11:08:00 am »

Try Adventure mode, It is turnbased but you have no control of your teammates.

I have. Was the first thing I tried as far as DF. I still see no resemblance to Natuk. DF does not even use the standard 'hit point' affair(it uses a strange sort of realistic wounding system where when someone gets hit they get injured) and the whole mode is very unfinished and unpolished(I seriously doubt Tarn will ever put more work into this mode and will eventually just drop it from the game as not many play the 'adventure' mode.).  About the only similarities between Natuk and DF: Adventure mode are that they are both RPGs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: