Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proudft/public_html/smf_forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EUO (Enhanced Ultima Online)
Tom Proudfoot's Games
March 18, 2019, 10:21:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forums!  All information is here now.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EUO (Enhanced Ultima Online)  (Read 25795 times)
dshadowplay
Whelpling

View Profile Email
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:58:19 pm »

Greetings all Grin, well a few days ago I found myself perusing around ye ole 'home of the underdogs' when I came across Natuk and decided to give it a shot. So i have been messing around with it for the last few days and it seems pretty intriguing, i especially enjoy the sounds effects which IMO are both well done and hilarious.

However, I was browsing proudft.com and read in the bi-decade update where Thomas was talking about world of warcraft and lord of the rings online... Egad man stave of those daemons, lulz. I used to be somewhat of a WoW head myself back in the day and while I would be lying if I said it wasn't fun its just that dammit.. it becomes all consuming and is just like, i dunno, why Huh. Anyhow I would like to offer up another ... holy crap LOL, alright so this really doesn't matter to someone who has never played EUO but get this, I just went to the homepage (like a second ago) and it seems that the creator (Egg, aka Max Breedon) has changed the wallpaper for the main page to include a screenshot I took earlier this year, Woot!-->http://swut.net/euo/. You see that half-orc to the left is me parting with Kaelyn and the demon next to me with the green health bar was summoned by my pet black dragon
(which doesn't appear to be shown). Enough tooting my own horn though, I am Bozel btw Tongue.

In conclusion I would beseech anyone who has enjoyed the old School Ultimas(specifically 4&5) or anyone who enjoys online rpgs to give this game a try. There is no monthly subscription and it is free to download. the game features crafts and skills, dungeon crawling, PvP and fantastic 80's style(yet well done) graphics.
Solar
Orc Scout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 03:42:30 pm »

I rather like(d) EUO.

Too bad the community is ~hard to get into, and had at least one asshole who kept killing the monsters I tried to tame on purpose, even after I told him to stop it. (This was several months ago, maybe even last year?)

But yeah, definitely give it a try. It's sort of fun, until you choke on your food.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:07:02 pm »

I tried it one time(so far) after reading the above post. There is a lot to like about the game. I love the old school Ultima graphics. Too many modern MMORPGs put WAY too much into the graphics aspect which is not just superficial but rather annoying. Playing one of them is an endless cycle of buying all the crap you need just to run their games(sans the even-more-unnecessary frills like 'dynamic shadows/lighting', 'Particle effects' etc.), then comes the 'Major update' that ups the requirements AGAIN so you need to replace the video card(at the very least) you just got, and all because of an aspect that most RPGers care little to nothing about.

What I didn't like was the use of the old school Ultima-like game system(All beginning characters start with 25 in each of the 3 or 4 attributes?! Would it really break something to have a more RPG-like system of actual character creation and advancement?). This is doubly weird since the game seems to deviate from the Ultima formula by allowing several interesting PC races such as half-Trolls, orcs, Draconian etc. I made a half-troll fighter and quickly ventured into the newbie dungeon. This was late at night so I did not expect anyone to be on but one guy named "Jetfish" or something like that was. He kind of followed me around the dungeon killing stuff himself until the game crashed on me and I went to bed. I would have tried chatting with him but did not get a chance to figure that aspect out before I was booted.

Also the monsters do not move at all. You can apparently walk circles around them as much as you want and they will do nothing until you attack one(and then only the one attacked will fight you). There is also a bug I discovered where I accidentally un-equipped the starting weapon(I was not sure if it was readied or not) and I could not re-equip it because I got a message that my strength was too low and needed 25 Str(which I had 25 str BTW). So I was forced to fight rats and such with my bare fists after that.
Solar
Orc Scout

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:01:48 am »

Also the monsters do not move at all. You can apparently walk circles around them as much as you want and they will do nothing until you attack one(and then only the one attacked will fight you).

That's odd. Did they have a grey health bar? Those are neutral, or someone has pacified them with taming skill. I'm not sure if they have tuned the Nordhaven jail (or maybe some newcomer friendly stuff has been implemented), but they were definitely aggro (red health bar) when I played it previous time.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:54:23 am »

Also the monsters do not move at all. You can apparently walk circles around them as much as you want and they will do nothing until you attack one(and then only the one attacked will fight you).

That's odd. Did they have a grey health bar? Those are neutral, or someone has pacified them with taming skill. I'm not sure if they have tuned the Nordhaven jail (or maybe some newcomer friendly stuff has been implemented), but they were definitely aggro (red health bar) when I played it previous time.

They had a red health bar but did not move at all. That other guy who was in there when I was may have been taming them. He was doing something after all. I will try the game again later.
Solar
Orc Scout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:28:52 pm »

At least in the newbie tutorial zone (made a new char on NG server and there actually was a tutorial this time, unlike a few years ago) the red bar monsters in there did not move, so... yeah, tutorial stuff, I'd say.
dshadowplay
Whelpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:17:51 am »

Heh, yeah I had to buy a new GFX card for the Bunring Crusade expansion.

The Community in EUO? Sadly there isn't much of one and of what there is, is a fair share of nubs and a-holes. But there are nubs and a-holes in every mmorpg. The multiple races are a pretty new feature, the last time i was actively playing in January they were still being tested out on the perma-death server. That should be exciting when i get back on. The game is quite harsh on new adventurers I cant argue that, the number of cursed objects found is inordinately high so checking them at the shrine is a must. It occurs to me that the actual combat system is closest to Ultimo 1, it gets quite hectic though. It really is a shame that more people are not on at a given moment, taking on dungeons with a party is a blast.

Of all the massive onlines I have played(honestly you could count them on a hand, WoW, City of Villians, Guild Wars, FFXI, Dark Age of Camelot. WoW was the only one that hooked me though.) I must confess, EUO is the only one I can recommend playing both solo and with a party. Actually I don't think Egg likes EUO to be referred to as an mmorpg  Shocked, lul. Anyway what I mean is, I have found that playing the WoWzes or whatever other mmorpg is quite exhilarating with a party, but akin to work when soloing and doing crafting or even just getting to the other side of the world. But these are just my feelings..

I never did play Everquest(Everquest addicts shame even WoW addicts, lul no offense!) or the actual Ultima online. If anyone has thoughts about Everquest or UO or mmorpgs in general I would be interested to hear them.

Happy Tree day!
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:14 pm »

I played a LOT of Everguest for a lot of years. Since before there were any expansions(there are now like 16 expansions or something like that). I quit for good after...I think the 11th or 12th expansion.

EQ had some really great things going for it when it was still the MMORPG king up until the 4th and 5th expansions or so. You used to have to travel by boat to get from continent to continent but a lot of thoughtless, whiny people complained that they shouldn't have to wait on anything(like boats, mana to regen etc.) because they were "paying customers". So the EQ developers put these insta-teleporter devices all throughout the world. This not only made the game too easy in many ways but it robbed wizards and druids of half their reason for being played(which was making money off other players for teleports to various locations). I always played shamans, shadowknights so this did not affect me as much but I did not like it at all.

On top of that they slowly phased out things like having to wait to regen health and mana which robbed the game of much tension and fun and this DID sort of effect shamans who were the game's alchemists. Alchemists made money primarily by selling potions to other players but after EQ did these things there was much less need of many potions.

Then there was the Bazaar  feature. Before they added this in, you could find players auctioning almost any item in almost any zone and getting good money for it. But when they added the bazaar feature and also kept adding improved higher level items that lower level PCs could use...all those low to mid- level quests and items became worthless. The old way to play was to do all sorts of quests and challenging tasks to get a hold of items and the new way was to just create a character and twink him out with high level items bought in the bazaar without having to do anything. Use to be that every PC newly created started the game in his/her race's home city and had to deal with 'faction' issues when traveling but after the 5th expansion everyone started in the "Plane of Knowledge" which had no faction problems and had teleporter books to go wherever you wanted.

About this time around 60% of all the zones suddenly became barren. Last time I played around 90% of all zones in EQ were unused, desolate areas. Quests in those zones were broken and no one was bothering to fix them because no one was ever in those zones anyway.
EQ was losing players like crazy and all those guys who whined about having to wait on things or having to do things the hard way were nowhere to be found in the game(they fled to Warcraft, DAoC, and so forth) and the game is now a pale shadow of what it once was.

EQ had it's downsides from the beginning as well though. Character creation and development was rather crappy in some ways. It really did not matter much what you put into stats since you were going to find items to boost these left and right anyway. And the "alternative advancement" thing was absolutely screwy(sure the game was worse without it but it was, in terms of logical consistency in game design, right up there with 1st and 2nd ed. AD&D. Just plain ugly...
But it also had many great points like playing ogres and trolls and frogloks and character classes like shamans and such. The game was also the first in PC RPGS to treat "barbarians" as a RACE rather than a class  unlike most RPGS that simply got this wrong and tried to treat barabrians as some type of outdoor, musclebound warrior class or some such nonsense.

EQ II could have been real good and they did make some improvements to EQ but they ruined the game with the way they revamped character classes. The replaced "Shamans" with "Mystics" which may sound like a mere cosmetic bit of fluff to some but imagine if they replaced "warriors" with "confrontationalists" or something stupid like that and you can see where shaman fans have a problem with this. The term "mystic" does not really relate to "shaman". it is a generic term for anyone using supernatural talents to achieve something.

I played a little WoW and liked it but not enough to subscribe yet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: