Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proudft/public_html/smf_forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Open source
Tom Proudfoot's Games
January 19, 2019, 07:31:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forums!  All information is here now.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open source  (Read 6135 times)
popotam
Whelpling

View Profile Email
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:22:42 pm »

Your games are great.

Since you are not developing them anymore, have you considered releasing them as open source?

That way other people could improve and finish them.

POWS has a great potential, you know? It's sad that it's just lying there unfinished.
Ripfengor
Whelpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:49:44 am »

Not exactly sure how relevant my post will be, but i know i would follow development of pows and continue playing it if work would keep being done on it.  Natuk is the first game i bought, when i was about 6 years old. Now almost 17, im still watching tom's website for all updates.  Would love to see work still being done.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:11:52 am »

Can't speak for Tom and really only have minimal insight into his thoughts on this matter but he has said in the past that he does not want to talk about releasing code for POWS/Natuk until he has sold the CD Natuk games he has(which cost a lot of money to produce. I know because I used to front a band who put out a CD and I also worked for Quebecor/Q-Media, printing and packaging CDs and such).

I understand that as I am sure most do. I also understand why he has not been able to continue working on his games as much as we would like. People have to eat and pay bills for starters(and the people able to do so making indie CRPGs can be counted on one finger I think). And I assume the natural fatigue of working on games, squashing bugs and such also plays a part in this.

But I also feel, like all of you, that it is probably time for POWS to be released so that other programmers can fix and finish it. THe top-down, tiled 2D CRPG sub-genre of CRPGs is not getting any more popular or relevant as time goes by and this game was considered 'old school' back when Natuk was released in '98-'99. Even Spiderweb software, after it finished this last Avernum game won't be doing non-animated tiled 2D CRPGs anymore(he did not work on that Geneforge engine just for the Hell of it) and waiting another 5 or 10 years to release POWS/Natuk may well be like giving away Pabst Blue Ribbon at a beer festival where Rogue Ale and Long Hammer are also free.
Hamyrenz
Whelpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:59:27 pm »

For me I don't releasing them open source. The best way is to get the feedback who are playing your game.

Whelpling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:15:02 am »

How about this year, might we finally see open sourced Proudfoot games?  Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: