Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proudft/public_html/smf_forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Possible to revert to earlier save? Got stuck.
Tom Proudfoot's Games
March 25, 2019, 10:17:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forums!  All information is here now.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to revert to earlier save? Got stuck.  (Read 5616 times)
Scadens
Whelpling

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2009, 10:07:47 am »

I managed to get myself in a very annoying situation and I can't really figure out what to do.

I had cleared the first island and decided to check out which island I should go to next. So I went unsaved and got to the Avard Isle, which seemed a bit out of my league. However, I noticed the boat from Avard Isle went to another place, Vedbaek Isle. Tried that too and talked to a couple of people there. I talked to someone who asked if I wanted to gamble, and I said yes - just to see. Then the disaster struck: my game was automatically saved.

The boat from Avard only goes to Vedbaek, and the boat from Vedbaek goes only to Avard. Is there any way I could revert to my earlier save, or edit the savegame file to change my position on the map? Or anything? :|
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:55:11 am »

Wish I could be of some help here but the only thing I can say is that Nahlakh is a VERY unforgiving game. The last game I played I, similarly to your own situation, went somewhere that was a bit too hairy for me but since I saved my game within a city that was surrounded by monsters I could not defeat I could not get back to a safer area and had to abandon that game.
Scadens
Whelpling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:31 am »

I actually managed to edit my savegame so that I didn't have to start over Cheesy Posting here so that others who have the same problem can solve it.

Before attempting this, create a copy of your savegame to a safe place so that you have a backup if something goes awry. If your save game is in slot 1, the file name is game.sa1.

Now examine the other files in the directory - the files m-###.sa1 show the maps of areas. You can open them e.g. with notepad! Try to find the map you want to be in and take note of the number of the map, e.g. m-102.sa1. Then edit your saved game (i.e. game.sa1) similarly with notepad: towards the end of the file, there's a number of variables in the format #.#########E+##, the first value apparently marks the day in game - 32 days would be indicated 3.200000000E+01 (3.2*10^1=32). After those values, there's a line with 3 digits - that indicates the map you're on and I guess the next values are the coordinates on the map... By changing that value to match the number of the map you want to be on and saving, you should be all good Smiley

Too bad this probably comes a bit late for you, SkeleTony :|
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:43:56 pm »

Nice work! I would never have thought of trying to open those in Notepad and even if I had I would've taken one look at those numbers and closed the file.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: