Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proudft/public_html/smf_forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Knights of the Chalice
Tom Proudfoot's Games
January 19, 2019, 06:21:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forums!  All information is here now.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knights of the Chalice  (Read 8220 times)
SouWind
Whelpling

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2009, 06:54:04 am »

A game you all should be playing between Natuk games. 

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

Indy
1989 graphics
Hard
Turn based
RPG
D20 rules

The v1.19 update has a new graphic mode: 90x720b.  This is worth trying.  I suspect the author of being British.  But no one is perfect.
Tom Proudfoot
Emperor
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:21:39 am »

I've heard good things about this as well, I should probably try it out.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:02 am »

I tried it. There are some good things about it but IMO the bad things just ruin it for me. For starters if you are only going to include three races to create your player characters from(and one of those must be human) then I do not think throwing in the Dark Sun 'Half dwarven' 'Muls' makes much sense. And then to only include three classes?! Even with teh trendy 'four person party' limitation that is what...NINE possible builds(assuming all races can be all classes)?! Half the freaking game in any good RPG is character creation and this is just a step above Zelda/Final Fantasy/Dink Smallwood IMO.

I decided to go read the author's design notes, philosophy and so forth at his web site just for kicks and while some of it made p[erfect sense, a lot of it was just bizarre and seemingly dogmatic.

And the freaking Vancian 'Fire and Forget' magic system...for the love of REASON people just STOP IT! I realize this is how D&D does things(and despite the designers themselves hating this system(they originally intended to do away with it back in 2nd edition)) and you grew up on D&D but holy mackerel it is freaking BAD! There is no possible hypothetical wherein this system makes sense or reflects Heroic fantasy as a genre.

But yeah I can overlook any one or two of these types of flaws in any RPG but when they are all crammed together into a single game like that...I have a hard time finding the fun in it.
SouWind
Whelpling

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »

Well, see you memorize them the "night" before.  And if you memorized 3 light spells you cannot cast 4 because you forgot them after you cast the 3rd one, but not the 2nd one.

It's because the magic stuff can't stay in your brain...  ...its as if only an aspect of the spell exists...

Yes, its crazy.  I found the muls odd too.  But it's hard.  I got to a final battle and got my rumpus handed to me repeatedly. 
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:03:18 pm »

Well, see you memorize them the "night" before.  And if you memorized 3 light spells you cannot cast 4 because you forgot them after you cast the 3rd one, but not the 2nd one.

It's because the magic stuff can't stay in your brain...  ...its as if only an aspect of the spell exists...

Yes, its crazy.  I found the muls odd too.  But it's hard.  I got to a final battle and got my rumpus handed to me repeatedly. 

Exactly. I keep picturing a poetry reading at some artsy spoken word joint and some guy taking the stage, stuttering for a minute before apologizing profusely, explaining that he intended to recite Frost's "The Road Not Taken" but he accidentally recited it to a girl on the bus ride over and since he only memorized ONE recital of that poem he was now assed-out. I just cannot understand why D&D PLAYERS cannot seem to get over this horrifically poor design when even the designers, editors, writers etc. from both TSR and WoTC cannot stand it(but are forced to stay with it by those same fans threatening boycotts). I mean what if the original D&D had proposed a system where charisma was the attribute that determined one's ability to 'bend bars/lift gates'?! Would the system suffer to this day with that convention?!
Twilight
Whelpling

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 12:45:14 pm »

New versions for KOTC coming out. 
It is good, but, still feels like it is not really all that close to being finished (athough it IS finished).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: