Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proudft/public_html/smf_forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Natuk Compatibility
Tom Proudfoot's Games
January 23, 2019, 03:27:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forums!  All information is here now.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Natuk Compatibility  (Read 11044 times)
Tom Proudfoot
Emperor
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« on: April 23, 2009, 04:14:18 pm »

Crashing
Natuk was written under Windows 95, and the sound code appears to cause occasional crashes in XP (usually when chanting).  To fix this, make a shortcut (right-click on the .exe and pick it off the menu).

Then right-click on this shortcut, go to the compatibility tab, and select the checkbox by Run this Program in Compatibility mode, and have Windows 95 selected.

Use this shortcut to run the game from now on, and you should be set.

Speed
The scrolling in the mouse window can go so fast on modern computers that it is difficult to select spells.  Spells can always be entered manually by typing their syllables on the keyboard, but this is, of course, not an ideal solution.

I am looking for a way to fix this permanently, but it is difficult to compile Natuk these days, unfortunately.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:13 pm »

Even with that 'Open Watcom' compiler?
Tom Proudfoot
Emperor
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »

Well I finally found the Natuk source code, so I'll give that Open Watcom the old college try next week.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 06:35:12 pm »

Well I finally found the Natuk source code, so I'll give that Open Watcom the old college try next week.

AWESOME! Beyond fixing the most important issue(s)(re: the mouse scrolling in the spellcasting window) it would be cool(though maybe unrealistic since you are probably busy) to see some of POWS' improvements added in(i.e. spell casting delay rather than instantaneous casting) or the Natuk races added into POWS(since it IS a Piratey game, who better than orcs and such as PCs?).
Tom Proudfoot
Emperor
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:56:48 pm »

Progress has been made.  The old compiler was Watcom 10.5, which doesn't work in XP/Vista.  I tried to get it to compile with OpenWatcom, but there were basically too many changes for it to work right off.  After some failures there, I got the bright idea to see if Watcom 11 works at all, and lo, it did, after some less-comprehensive changes.  The main weird thing with 10.5 (and I didn't realize this back when I last tried this 5 years ago or so) is the way it packs the structures, but you can tell 11 to do it the old way.

The math headers are changed and I couldn't seem to enable them properly, so I had to basically prototype those myself.  I had to use an ANSI-compliant version of my file handling (which I am pretty sure works ok, I've used it in other projects).  I am also not sure what version of DirectX Watcom 11 uses, but it shouldn't be a big deal.  The math is the main thing I am suspicious of, it uses tan() and sqr() a lot, and cos() and sin() a fair amount.   I'll test it for a while to see if it's working ok before making any actual changes.

But it's promising!

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:59:20 pm by Tom Proudfoot » Logged
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13:31 pm »

You lost me at "math"...
Tom Proudfoot
Emperor
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:59:44 am »

Hrm, I got back on this and it crashes when you enter combat.  Frustrating.
SkeleTony
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 06:30:30 pm »

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!!

Funny, after taking another of my usual lengthy hiatuses from Natuk/Nahlakh/POWS I just started working on some more custom PC icons and then started a new game to test out how they are coming. It is totally weird that I own great games like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, Various Wizardries and Might and Magics etc. and I have easily spent 20x the time and effort on Natuk alone than all those other games combined.
Tom Proudfoot
Emperor
Orc Warrior

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:55 am »

Some success, I think! 

http://www.proudft.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=30.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: